The No. 20 nationally ranked University of Lynchburg field hockey team won their fifth straight match on Sat., Oct. 12 against Shenandoah University in overtime by a score of 2 to 1. In all five of these past matchups, the goals have been decided by less than two goals.
Grace Cavanaugh ~ Copy Editor
On Saturday, Oct. 5, the Water Dog and the Academy Center for the Arts are partnering to bring Lynchburg Oktoberfest 2019 to Riverfront Park.
Katherine Daniel ~ Editor-in-Chief
Fall weather is coming and I can feel it. The mornings are starting to become cooler and the leaves are starting to change and drop from the trees. When fall comes, that means there are many things that you can do! I know for me, I love to take that trip to Target or Michaels and get some fall décor for the house. I could stay in these places for hours if I wanted to and spend a lot of money, but let’s not talk about that. Here are a few things that you can enjoy when the fall weather comes!
- Go to a pumpkin patch. These are so much fun. There are many pumpkin patches around the Lynchburg area that you can go to and take a trip. It could be fun to take a group of friends and have a little photo shoot at the pumpkin patch and pick out some pumpkins for your dorms or apartments. Back at home in Dundas, we have a pumpkin patch called Parrish Pumpkin Farm. You can take photos, pick out a pumpkin, ride on a hayride, etc. They are so much fun just to get out with friends and family and experience a fun-filled weekend.
- Go on a fall clothes shopping spree. If you are the kind of person who loves clothes shopping, this is definitely the time to go shopping. Pick out some cute outfits for the fall and rock them to class one day. I love going to American Eagle for flannels and also they have some deals during the fall sometimes, which is great for us college students. I love rocking a flannel, vest, leggings, and bean boots to class during the fall. It is just something you can easily throw together and it looks good to go to class. I also love the cute flannel dresses too that are cute for the fall. Get you a cute flannel dress and booties and rock that outfit to class.
- Fall candles. If anyone knows me, I LOVE candles. Fall scented candles are my favorite at that. Bath and Body works has the greatest smelling candles for the fall, so go out and get you some. I am a “candle-a-holic” because I literally have a candle in the kitchen, the main hallway, and bedroom. They are all different scents, of course. I have a pumpkin marshmallow in the main hallway, a caramel swirl latte candle in the kitchen, and on the other one in the bedroom, which I have not lit yet. Just to walk in the door and smell the fall scents, just gives me this happy feeling, after a long, stressful day.
- Trips to Bold Rock Cidery. I just recently went to Bold Rock Cidery for the first time two weekends ago, and I loved it. Getting cider and hanging out with friends, is just a great experience. Even the views are great. I loved going with a group of friends from back home the other weekend. They sometimes hosts events throughout the year too, so then it will be fun.
- Take fall photo sessions! My October is full of taking photos of engagements, homecomings, and senior sessions. Get a group of friends or take some photos during the fall! These photos always turn out so great with the color changing of the leaves. If anyone needs photos this fall, check out my website at www.katherinedanielphotography.com or go check me out on Facebook or Instagram at Katherine Daniel Photography.
- Go to Scaremare, Hallo-scream, or Halloween Haunt. These are always so much fun to go to. For me, I feel Halloween Haunt at Kings Dominion is the best, but the other two are great too. Scaremare is in Lynchburg and it is not far from the university, so get a group of friends and go out and have some fun. Halloween Haunt is cool to go to for a day trip too with family and friends. We have a tradition to go every year to Halloween Haunt.
- Go to the movies. During the fall, I feel a lot of the movies come out each year. Go see IT 2 or Hustlers. I want to go see these two movies so bad, so do not spoil it for me if you have seen it. I love seeing a variety of movies: comedies, horror, and romance. Get your boyfriend/girlfriend or friends and go and have a good movie night to destress from all of the homework you have.
- Football season is here. For me, most everyone knows, but I love football season. I was a cheerleader in high school, and I loved to be one of the only cheerleaders who knew what was going on during the game. It was fun to tell them when we were on defense and offense. Now even though we do not have a football team at UofL, I do go over to Liberty to watch the football games, since I am a big football girl. Grab a group of friends and go to VT, Liberty, or UVA for the weekend and tailgate and watch some football.
I could go on and on about more ideas to do for the fall, but I guess I will stop here now. If you have any suggestions on what to write about, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grace Cavanaugh ~ Staff Writer
On Friday, Sept. 7, Like A Boss Sales, Networking & Events, LLC, will be hosting the Girls Day Out Craft/Vendor Event at the Family Life Community Center.
From 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., the ladies of Lynchburg are invited to a craft and vendor event at 22059 Timberlake Rd. According to their Facebook page, “Grab a girlfriend (or two) and come out and join us for a fun afternoon of shopping, raffles, and more! There will be Swag Bags for the first 100 ladies!!”
On the New in Lynchburg page, the description for the event continues, “Admission is free, but if you reserve your free tickets before September 5, 2019, you will receive one free raffle ticket when you attend the event!