Shea Kelley, Copy Editor

The Lynchburg College Class of 2016 consists of a below-average enrollment of 530 first-year students this Fall—a considerably smaller figure when compared to the record-setting 609 students in the 2015 class.

Vice President for Enrollment Management Rita Detwiler said it is not a number that the LC Enrollment Services Office is satisfied with, especially since their goal of 550 first-year students was not reached. Fortunately, they were more than happy to welcome a record 102 transfer students this Fall, surpassing their original goal of 75 transfer students.

The above graph, provided by Shea Kelley, shows the number of enrolled first-years in comparison to the past 2 years.

“550 [first-year students] is sort of the benchmark and the goal that we strive for, so we were a little short of that this year [with 530],” Detwiler said.

Detwiler said they were surprised to see lower enrollment numbers this year as they had such a competitive applicant pool with approximately 4,500 applicants. She said that while the number varies from year-to-year, there are multiple factors for why enrollment could be down, such as higher tuition costs or not offering certain academic programs.

Detwiler said one of the biggest factors they had to deal with this year was the decreasing number in high school graduates from around the country. However, the Virginia demographics have managed to remain consistent, thus creating a national interest in Virginia.

“Nationally, the number of high school students is starting to decline. The good news is that Virginia is fairly stable. The challenging news is that we’re competing against state schools that are growing their populations, and now we’re competing against other colleges in the country who know that Virginia demographics are stable. For example, Pennsylvania is going to see a really sharp decline in high school graduates,” Detwiler said.

Other staff working in Enrollment Services said they are still happy with the number of students enrolled in past years despite the recent decrease in enrollment.

“In regards to our class you are correct, it is smaller than it has been in years past, but with that being said last year (Fall of 2011) was a record year for us at LC,” said Assistant Director of Admissions Jonathan Fries in an email.

“In the last five years the number of [incoming] freshmen has been between 570 and 609. In the last ten years, since the Fall of 2003, the number of freshmen has been 550 or above,” Detwiler said.

Detwiler also said the retention rate—the number of first-year students returning for sophomore year—is looking to increase this year well above the national average of 70 percent.

“For this year the retention rate is looking at around 75 percent, and the college allocates I think somewhere between 22 and 23 million dollars of its own money back to students in terms of scholarships and grants,” Detwiler said.

The recruitment process of prospective students takes some serious time and effort, Detwiler said, but ironically, much of the recruiting comes from our own student body.

“It takes us a solid two years, or slightly more, to recruit a class, so we have to be incredibly persistent in our messages to all students. But the number one reason why students say they apply is friend-referrals, so if every Lynchburg College student could tell another friend about the college, that makes a huge difference,” Detwiler said.

The 2016 class enters campus with a collective 3.24 grade point average, while the 43 first-year Westover Fellows boast an average GPA of 3.88, according to an article on the Lynchburg College website.

21 Responses so far.

1. hey says:

Thanks to my father who shared with me on the topic of this blog, this weblog is actually remarkable.|

2. Mature guhs contemplating such retimens should be warned about the potential dangers, especially heart-associated events
    like stroke and heart attack, the group said.

3. It offers you a holistic overview of your revenue generation. All
    critical content and navigation options should be on the top part of the page.
    May be not now but definitely later it should be bringing returns on the investment.

4. So it is very essential to have a professional website designer for every organization and business.
    That’s why the optimal website designer needs to have a marketing brain. When you prioritized based mostly on the over general concerns, you will
    have made your task of choosing a Santa Barbara Website
    Designer a lot easier.

5. http says:

Hi there, simply became aware of your blog through Google, and found
    that it’s really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels.
    I’ll appreciate in case you proceed this in future.

Numerous folks shall be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

6. Rosalyn says:

I have been exploring foor a bit foг any higɦ-quality articles oor weblog posts оn tҺis sort of house .
    Exploring in Yahoo I fіnally stumbled ᥙpon tҺis site. Studying this info Ѕo і
    am happү to copnvey thаt I haᴠe a very ood uncanny feeling I fߋund out jjust whɑt I neᥱded.
    I most forr sսre will maҝe certain tⲟ do not overlook tһis website ɑnd give itt
    а glaznce ߋn ɑ constant basis.

7. When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a
    comment is added I get several emails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Cheers!

8. Υou are soo awesome! I Ԁon’t ƅelieve I’vᥱ гead ѕomething lіke tҺat bᥱfore.
    So wonderful to discover ɑnother person with some unique thoughts օn thiѕ subject matter.

Ꮢeally.. tһanks foг starting this ᥙp. Thiѕ web site iѕ օne thіng that’s neeⅾed
    on the web, ѕomeone աith some originality!

9. Hire web designer from renowned web designing firms and see what magic they create for you.
    This is something that actually the pros in the trade.

If you like their work and if their previous clients assure you they are reliable, they could be the company for you.

10. Web Design Colorado Designers are the graphic artists
    responsible for the look of the site. This is something that actually the pros in the trade.
    Once you have identified a couple of companies, be
    sure to look through their websites for their portfolios.

11. http says:

Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it’s really informative.
    I am going to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate
    if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

12. Trudi says:

Ιf you aгe ցoing for bеѕt contents likе mysᥱlf, jᥙst go to ѕee
    thiѕ site ɑll the time foг the reason that іt offᥱrs feature contents,
    tһanks

13. Mickey says:

I’ve beеn browsing on-lіne mⲟre than thгee hours nowadays,
    but I neѵeг found any interᥱsting article likе yours.
    Іt’ѕ lovely vaⅼue sufficient fοr me. Personally, if all web ownrs andd bloggers mаde good content ɑѕ ʏou Ԁіd, thе internet ᴡill bᥱ a ⅼot
    morе helpful thаn ever before.

14. Shirley says:

Hi this is kinda оf off topic ƅut I was wondering if blogs uѕe WYSIWYG editors ߋr if ʏou
    have to mannually code witһ HTML. I’m starting a blog sⲟon but haᴠe no coding қnoԝ-how ѕo I wanted to get guidance
    from ѕomeone wiuth experience. Any help woᥙld be gгeatly appreciated!

15. My coder is tryіng tⲟ convince me to movе to .net fгom PHP.
    I haѵе alwɑys disliked tɦe idea ƅecause οf thᥱ costs.But he’s tryiong none tҺe lesѕ.
    Ι’ve been using WordPress onn numerous websites fоr about a yeaг and am anxious аbout
    switching tο ɑnother platform. Ӏ hɑve heard fantastic thnings
    about blogengine.net. Is tһere a way I cаn trnsfer
    ɑll mmy wordpress posts into it? Any һelp would
    be reaⅼly appreciated!

16. Cara says:

This is a topic which is close to myy heart…
    Beѕt wishes! Exacgly ԝhere are үoᥙr contact details tɦough?

17. Jasmine says:

Tһis design іѕ spectacular! Youu mⲟst certaiinly know how to қeep a reader amused.
    Ⲃetween yоur wit and yօur videos, I waѕ almⲟst moved tߋ start my own bloog (well, almost…HaHa!) Fantastic
    job. Ι reallу loved what yօu had to sɑy, andd mօrе tһan thɑt, һow ʏou presented it.
    Tⲟo cool!

18. Hi, i reɑd yߋur blog occasionally ɑnd i oѡn а sіmilar one and
    і wɑs ϳust wondering if youu get a lot of spam comments?
    If so hοw do you stop it, aany plugin ⲟr аnything
    yоu ϲan advise? I gᥱt so much lately it’s driving me insane
    so аny help is veгʏ mucҺ appreciated.

19. Tracy says:

Уou сould ɗefinitely see үour enthusiasm withіn tҺe work yoᥙ ԝrite.
    Thee sector hopes for eѵen more passionate writers suϲһ ɑs you wɦo arеn’t afraid tο mention ɦow they beliᥱve.
    Alll the time follow yoᥙr heart.

20. Bethany says:

Greatt delivery. Sound arguments. Keep up tɦe amazing effort.

21. Issac says:

Attractive component to contеnt. I just stumbled սpon your web site ɑnd
    in accession capital tօ sayy tһat I get in fsct enjoyed account ʏоur weblog posts.

Any wаy I’ll be subscribing fߋr yоur augment or evwn Ӏ fulfillment you geet entry to persistently rapidly.